Monday, August 20, 2012

Odd and Ends 8-20-2012

Despite Monday being the toughest day of the week for my health, I felt inspired to head to Winona, MN to get some ammo and maybe a cheapish phone. My eight year old Motorola cordless runs through replacement batteries at a faster clip than it used to, while acting strangely of late. At Amazon, I had wish listed a well reviewed AT&T corded and cordless DECT 6.0 combo, something I had never dreamed existed and perfect for rural life. But the price went up and I was reluctant to pull the trigger.

So it is much to my surprise that I have the AT&T phone charging at the moment in the living room while the corded base keeps watch in my room. It turns out they had a couple in stock at Mills Fleet Farm where I got my cheap Russian .223 ammo! Now I am penniless until my next Social Security check, but I am very relieved to have a working telephone. The extra range of the phone should be very helpful since the Samsung barely worked at the other end of the not very big house.

The ammo was Brown Bear 62 grain JHP and after a trip to the range on Saturday it became clear I need to re-zero my cheap Chinese scope on the Mini-14. I have been resisting zeroing to anything but 55 grain, but the Brown Bear shoots too well for me to ignore it.

So some auctions I have been watching on eBay will now have to be given up on. I’m hunting for a decent deal on The Vision of Escaflowne complete series, an upgraded processor for my PC, and a few other items. They will all have to wait until September at the latest and the new CPU is probably a pipe dream at the price I can pay for it.

The Paul Ryan frenzy has been fascinating to watch and I wonder when the media will attempt to go full Palin on him. The other big question is can it work? The attack on IQ certainly will not succeed at all. What has most impressed me is how it has revitalized and motivated Romney. Mitt has come alive and I suspect we are finally beginning to see some of the real man. It turns out Ryan was his and his family’s pick, not his advisors. That scores positive point with me.

Going back to things I want but cannot afford, I really want a BugASalt. My dislike of flies and ruthless hunting down of them would only get worse with this gadget. Maybe the Army’s old digital camo would be useful in this scenario. It certainly is not in any other.

A sign of the times and not a good one: Apple is now the most highly valued corporation in history. Given that all that income is from making products that are superficial and dumbing down humanity, it looks like another bubble to be popped. The death of creativity continues in this era of bread and circuses.

It looks like I will be writing a post on defending old B-movies before continuing my hate series. An experience yesterday crystalized some things for me and I had better write while it is still fresh.

2 comments:

Hanny said...

Who needs money when you have bullets? Kidding! Glad you got your new phone.

Patrick D. Boone said...

Ever try to barter bullets at a Dairy Queen? I offered a couple of 20 gauge shells for a Blizzard, but they wouldn't go for the deal.