Saturday, August 18, 2012

Five Years Ago: The Rushford Flood

It is hard to believe that it has been so long since the August 18, 2007 flood that filled Rushford and the accompanying rains that heavily damaged much of Houston County. I just ate at The Creamery in Rushford and was explaining to a younger couple that the restaurant had been filled with four feet of water. Much of life has returned to normal in that small town, thankfully.

As part of my renovating the blog, I have been going back and properly tagging posts. This week happened to be the one assigned to that, so I have been looking at those posts and reliving what happened. I’ll let my words and photos from back then tell the story:

Little did I know that less than a year later there would be more flooding locally and across the border in Wisconsin. Soldiers Grove took the hit during that one, but it was surreal to see such damage again is so short a time. There is nothing quite like the feeling of helplessness when faced with a natural disaster.

I really hope I never feel it again.

1 comment:

internetbites said...

It reminds me of the time just before Hurricane Katrina when my hometown in WI was hit by an f3 tornado. For those who may not know, "f3" is severe, with winds from 158-206 mph (http://www.tornadoproject.com/fscale/fscale.htm).
Only one fatality; the father of someone I knew from school. He was a POW in Vietnam, and was in the basement of his house when the chimney toppled upstairs and fell through the floor.
It was very eerie to watch the national news the next morning and see places I knew in utter ruin.