Saturday, June 23, 2012

Anime Honorable Mentions

Having a brain as sharp as a brick this week, I omitted some animes from my worth watching list. While not up there with the rest, they did entertain me. So with no further adieu, here they are:

  • The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
  • The Irresponsible Captain Tylor
  • Mushi-shi
  • Robotech: Macross Saga (yes, I know the purists hate that one)
  • Full Metal Panic (all versions, content warning on the final series)
  • Vampire Hunter D (content warning on that one too)
  • Outlaw Star (Firefly ripped off a lot of elements from this)
  • Lensman (not faithful to the books, sadly)

One thing I have noted is that creativity seems to be dead compared to the 1980s and 1990s. Very few risks are being taken and the moe movement has done a lot of damage in pushing the superficial, if not sleazy, aspects to the fore.  Changing male leads from headstrong confident types to perpetually embarrassed wimps has been another thing I have noticed. This has not been healthy, but it does pander to the Japanese otakus who drive the business model.

No comments: