Thursday, June 06, 2013

A Source of Referral Spam

Ever wonder where the strange links in your Blogspot stats come from that don’t really link to your blog? Ever wonder why someone would do such a thing? Wonder no more.

r-e-f-e-r-e-r . com showed up on my stats today and this site blatantly lays out what is going on. For $29.95 you can spam forty million websites with links to your site to artificially drive traffic – or at least that’s what they promise. You may have heard of similar schemes for Facebook likes and Twitter follows to boost apparent status.

Screen capture follows and is safe to click on:

referer spam

The part selling ads pointing out mostly webmasters visit this site is something I find vaguely hilarious. Most won’t be pleased to be visiting, I suspect.

Please don’t help them out by visiting their site.

2 comments:

Mary Sullivan Frasier said...

I knew I could count on you to have the scoop, Patrick! I was aware right away that it was referer spam, but I guess I'm just the curious sort. I think part of me is hoping that someone will figure out a way to get rid of these annoying jerks, once and for all. Ah, progress... Ya gotta love/hate it. lol Have a great weekend!

Patrick D. Boone said...

Glad to be of help. Where there is a way to exploit something you will always find somebody doing it, sadly.

You have a good weekend too, hopefully spam free.