Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Gratitude

Being more grateful for things is something I am always working on and I find myself needing to more this Thanksgiving.  For some reason, ready reasons to be thankful are fleeing me at the moment.

One thing I need to do is stop comparing my life to that of others around me. It will come up short 99% of the time as far as achievements go, so letting go of that benchmark would help a great deal. But that is easier said than done, so it may be a few more years before that happens.

Perhaps I should write some things out and hope to actually feel them a little more tomorrow.

Some things to be grateful for, in random order:

  • Food
  • Shelter
  • Heat
  • Electricity
  • Indoor plumbing
  • The Atonement made by Jesus Christ
  • Friends
  • Family
  • Music
  • Art
  • Sunlight
  • Books
  • The Internet
  • Cats (depending on patience levels)
  • B Movies (Perfect for sick days)
  • Gunpowder
  • Kind words (even if they embarrass)

Well, I got farther than I thought I would, given the headache I’ve had most of the day. It is a start, at least.

I hope everyone has a good Thanksgiving and remembers what the holiday commemorates. From articles in the papers, a lot of people are not feeling the spirit due to economic problems. The pilgrims would look at what most of us have and think us wealthy beyond belief. So please, find some things to give thanks for!

No comments: