Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Purple Haze

Okay, it isn’t purple out, but it is hazy.

Blogging for me is primarily about knocking the rust out of my writing skills and developing a routine where I pound out words on the keyboard every day or something close to it. With that much typing, a good keyboard is a must to have. While it took me to the middle of this year to get going again, preparation was done starting in November when I purchased a mechanical keyboard. Multiple Microsoft ergonomic and Logitech keyboards had died on me with replacements becoming an annual event.

There is no substitute for a good mechanical key switch in my opinion. Since I learned to type (not “keyboard”) on a manual typewriter a good amount of travel and tactile feedback is something I appreciated greatly. Then there is the delightful clicky sound they make which really helps in touch typing. Back in the 1990’s all my keyboards were mechanical and I lost a rare ergonomic one that served me for ten years due to a water spill . After much research, I decided I needed something based on Cherry blue switches and fortunately for me an affordable keyboard came along.

The Rosewill RK-9000 came out in two limited batches and was based on a Filco design, if I remember correctly. I missed the first batch at Newegg but got in on the second. The construction is nice and heavy, but it manages to not take up excessive real estate. The fingers fly on it and while I won’t set any speed typing records, it has been wonderful to type on.

One bad thing about having a mechanical keyboard is it spoils you. I find that I really don’t like modern membrane switch based keyboards now and that they tire my hands.

My Rosewill was worth every penny and even has the added benefit of full anti-ghosting while using the PS2 port. That is something in gaming that can be an issue especially in first person shooters. It seems like I do better at running and gunning.

I’ll never go back to non-mechanical keyboards and regret the money I spent on the comfortable but fragile ergonomic ones.

No comments: