Saturday, November 21, 2009

Supercollider Blues Over?

The Large Hadron Collider suffered a magnet meltdown after its first run last year, shutting down operations until this past week. I’m happy to see the first test went well Friday and hope to see it get to smashing atoms soon.  In a small (microscopic) way, I’ve been involved through crunching research numbers for it on my computer.

user_884472_project3

While it is doubtful what the PC did was actually used, it felt good to contribute to something that will further research into physics.  I still remember the keen disappointment I felt when the much larger supercollider project in the US was cancelled back in the 1990’s. Now if we could get those idiots who believe that the LHC will create a black hole the special care they need…

No comments: