Monday, November 23, 2009

The Justice Society of America Lives

 

Growing up on comic books made me a reader as a child.  One of the fictional hero groups I liked the most was the Justice Society of America or JSA, the super heroes of the 1940’s.  All Star Squadron was the title of the comic I infrequently found at grocery stores and I fondly remember the extra large special where they saved President Roosevelt from super Nazi assassins. 

From there they were brought into the modern times of the 1970’s, inhabiting a parallel universe to the one that the Justice League of America took place. Age had actually caught up to the older heroes and they were training their children and other young heroes.  This was different and appealed to my love of history.  In these comics you would see a graying Superman, Flash, Dr. Fate, and Green Lantern fighting alongside Batman & Catwoman’s daughter, the Huntress for instance.

I never thought I’d get to see a live action version of the JSA, so I’m looking forward to Smallville’s special 2 hour movie involving them.  So far we have been informed that Hawkman, Dr. Fate, and Stargirl would appear as part of the disbanded and mysteriously forgotten heroes.  The preview above reveals one more character, the Sandman, in his gas masked glory. Between the glimpse of him and Dr. Fate with the photo released of Michael Shanks in full Hawkman costume, it will be the first time comic book costumes have been translated faithfully in Smallville.

As big a surprise as seeing the Sandman was, the bigger was seeing Alan Scott’s Green Lantern ring.  I doubt we’ll see much of him with a modern Hal Jordan Green Lantern movie in production. 

The best part of this is that the writer of the two hour special is Geoff Johns, the writer who made the latest incarnation of the JSA into a top selling comic book.  He knows and treats the characters reverently so old fans such as me probably won’t be disappointed.  The trade reprints of JSA are highly recommended as examples of comic books done well.

It will be a long wait until February 5th for this, but in the meantime I can continue to geek out over how well Dr. Fate’s costume translated into reality. That golden helm is just as intimidating as it was on the four color pages I read as a child.

No comments: