Thursday, September 27, 2012

Inspector Dreyfus Has Passed On

Herbert Lom always had the best scenes in the Pink Panther films, in my opinion. Perpetually chasing and trying to kill Clouseau, he appealed to me as a kid and as an adult. So I am a little sad to see that he died today.

I had no clue that he was a Czech refugee from the early days of WWII. At 95, he certainly lived a long life after making it to Britain. While he was best known for the comedies with Peter Sellers, he was in quite a few films spanning many genres usually as a supporting character. His roles in The Ladykillers, The Mysterious Island, The Phantom of the Opera, and Journey to the Far Side of the Sun were the ones I remember the most.

It strangely feels like another piece of my childhood has disappeared, even though the movies remain.

So here is Dreyfus speaking at Clouseau’s funeral, one of his best performances as an actor or character:

No comments: