Sunday, December 04, 2011

Christmas Musings

It is that time of year when bright lights and inflatable Santa Claus lawn ornaments start appearing. As the years go by, I find myself becoming more like Charlie Brown in lamenting the commercialization of the holiday. Christmas is not supposed to be about such things, but about celebrating the birth of our Savior.

Substitute any good rant about the subject in place of this sentence and it will cover the important points. Instead of dwelling on the negative, I find myself thinking of other things. Especially one thing. It has been nearly five years since that experience and I think of that dying young mother every Christmas time.

It can be strange what haunts you when you travel the musty corridors of memory. Talking to her at that gas station has stayed with me in a way most memories have not. For me, that has become the Christmas memory above all others and I am not sure why.

One thing that I wish to do is surround myself with things more important and real than the trappings of the popular culture. Perhaps watching the First Presidency Christmas Devotional is a good start to this. Making the time more Christ centric is always a good idea, but certainly more so when you have things like Black Friday dominating the news. Materialism is not what this is supposed to be about.

So I will turn my eyes toward the spiritual and try not to allow what others do annoy me. So I will meditate and contemplate that sacred first coming of Jesus so long ago in humble circumstances.

Oh my, the Mormon Tabernacle Choir’s rendition of The First Noel just killed me. Absolutely beautiful.

No comments: