Thursday, August 25, 2011

Memories Are Made of These

Wednesday nights have become a family history night for my father and me. We’ve begun work on correcting and expanding out the family tree that I have in Personal Ancestry File (PAF) but have to halt that for a bit due to technical issues. However, there are piles of photographs from the 1990’s that have never been put in albums that have to be sorted.

Complicating things is how fuzzy memories get after more than a decade after events. Just figuring out which year has become a painful exercise in guesswork. Seeing all the departed people and cats does not help things one bit. Too bad I did not do this earlier, but the 90’s were not a good time for me health wise.

Of course, no time has been. But I hadn’t learned all the different ways to micromanage energy and time yet, plus all the other ways to cope with a chronic illness. 

Still, it would have been better if the photos had been labeled at the time so there were dates on them. One advantage of the digital camera era is timestamps recorded in the picture files. That’s if you got the camera set up right in the first place.

So after we finally get the 1990’s sorted out, labeled, and placed in albums our next task will be to choose which digital pictures to print out from the 2000’s. Which leads to another issue – weeding out all those pictures. Digital photography is wonderful but it leads to taking exponentially more photos!

Meanwhile, I see a hurricane named Irene is headed for the East coast of the United States. Looks like it could be a real menace.  Interesting how it comes on the heels of an earthquake in the region.

Here I have a less catastrophic problem to deal with. My Radeon 4850 video card decided to develop problems with overheating despite the fan and heatsink working correctly. Looks like the silicon has developed some faults since it idles at 64 C and hits 90-98 C while gaming. Black screen failures have come with that, so it is time for a new video card. Good thing I keep my older cards around. With the old Radeon 3870 in the system at least I can keep going until next month and a new card.

No comments: